Turn off your gas
If you need to turn off the gas supply to your home or building, Contact Us or follow these instructions:
- Grab a wrench. A crescent wrench works best, but a pipe wrench or sturdy pliers will also work.
- Locate the shut-off valve. It’s on the pipe coming out of the ground beside the gas meter.
- Use the wrench to turn the valve ¼ turn to the off position. The blade of the valve will be at a right angle (90 degrees) to the pipe in the OFF position.
Turn your gas back on
For gas burning appliances with a pilot light, review the instructions on our Relight Your Appliances page before you start.
To turn the gas supply to your home or building back on, follow these instructions:
- Make sure all your gas appliance valves are in the off position.
- Grab a wrench. A crescent wrench works best, but a pipe wrench will also work.
- Use the wrench to turn the main gas valve (by the gas meter) ¼ turn to the OPEN position. Ensure the blade of the valve is aligned with the pipe (see below).
- If the regulator does not have a plunger, continue to step 4.
- If the regulator has a plunger, remove the cap and pull the plunger out about one inch (the plunger should stay in its “pulled out” position), then continue to step 4.
- Check around all gas burning equipment and gas piping. If you smell gas or suspect a leak, turn off the appliance valve or the main gas valve and Contact Us. We will send a Technician to inspect your piping and appliances.
If you require assistance, Contact Us and one of our technicians will help you.